Thursday, April 21, 2011

Reflections...

The past few days I have had time to process the events of Sunday.  After finally getting over the physical pain I have been able to think about that day-and the different things I felt, saw, and thought...here are a few:
  • Is that person really going to run in a Rhino suit the whole way? 
  • Man, there is A LOT of people here!
  • Look at all those cool balloons...
  • Did that guy in a banana suit just pass me?
  • Crowd: "Go ELVIS!"  Bev in her head "what the heck?"  Bev turns around and see's Elvis.  I ran with Elvis for about 4 miles so everyone yelled his name when we passed.
  • Crowd: "Go superwoman!"  No, not me-but a woman dressed as the famous female hero who I ran next to for about 4-5 miles.
  • Everytime someone passed me with a "in memory of.." with a loved ones name I was so inspired-it was amazing to see people running for causes that was so personal for them.
  • The Tower Bridge...wow this is really cool!!
  • Wow-my hip is starting to really hurt...
  • Time for some Gu-and water. 
  • Ignore the pain.
  • PAIN.
  • Look at the gratitude band...
  • Every mile there was a huge arch of red and white ballons with a big pillar with the mile mark on it.  I lived to see that arch of balloons!
  • where are the balloons...
  • I need to stop
  • I need to run
  • I need to stop
  • I need to run.
  • Look at the band Bev, look at the band...
  • This went on until the finish...
  • Hey, that lady was on the tube last night-(she was limping/walking and looked so tired...)
  • Is that the rhino again!?
  • Great a man juggling the WHOLE way just passed me...
  • Where am I?
  • Where is Joni?
  • 800m are you kidding me!!!!!!!!
  • I can't.
  • I can.
  • no, really I can't
  • No, really, you CAN.
  • 200m...I wonder where Joni is?
  • Smile for the camera Bev, smile for the flipp'n camera! There is a camera at the finish line...
  • Stop. Hands on knees. Nice man at finish line "Miss do you need some help to a medical tent?" Bev "No, I am ok I just need to walk and sit..."
There are some of the thoughts, feelings and sights that occured over the 26.2 miles on Sunday.  When I finally got to sit down, the SP UK gang helped out with some fruit, keeping me warm and getting my shoes off.  Here are some photo's of the "after"...

Trying to smile through pain...

Yeah that look sums it up...

Steve who ran for SP too


Finally, Jo came!

Surprisingly, we don't look too bad after Jo running around London trying to get shots-and me after 26.2!

So there are some of the race reflections.  Over the next couple of days I will share with you some of the highlites of the days after the marathon-including some photo's and video of the marathon route.

One of my favorite things is to go back on to my facebook page and see all of your encouraging words-I serioulsy can't get through them without getting teary...(Yes, Yieko your stoic sister has feelings!! :) Even though the race was really tough on me-I felt like I had all of you behind me-so thank you again and again.  It means so much to me that you supported the reasons why I ran-and I hope you all know how proud I am to know all of you...

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/spuk

No comments:

Post a Comment