Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Academic Marathon...

In our second year in Liberia-and after working with SP for about 6 years, I faced a difficult question that I could not answer.  Although I had a Masters degree in International development and had worked in the field for a time-I laid in bed at nights with this question that I had no answer for:  "Is what I am doing really helping people here in Liberia?"  Many of you may read this and think "Of course!" But let me explain a little further...

I know that the work we do does make a difference-but could I as the then WASH program manager implement projects better?  Could our WASH projects have a deeper impact for those that we were working with?  I know that the BSF filter helps with making clean water available for people-but for the people in Liberia who had just gone through a brutal civil war-could it impact them further than just their health?  For a woman who had lost everything-could the filter give them a sense of ownership and help re-establish their lives?  There were many other questions I had-but most of all I wanted to know how to do my job better...

I decided that I wanted to learn more about my work and try and answer my questions.  As I read and researched I realized there was not a lot of literature on implementing projects in rural-post war societies like the areas we work in, in Liberia.  I started looking at PhD programs-I know, I know, for those who have known me since school days-Bev-the jock?  But to make a long story short-I met a Professor, who was in Liberia doing a water assessment from Cranfield University in the UK-and as we discussed my questions he encouraged me to apply to the University-in a PhD program...

I was accepted-a miracle!  And in the fall of 2006 I started...wow.  I can only say that the journey is a lot like training for a marathon-long, hard, frustrating, tiring and exhausting-however, it has also been amazing, stretching, rewarding and I have learned sooooo much-which has helped me be a better person and aid worker.  Here is proof that I am really doing this!
Testing the water filter...I am not a scientist!

Every year I present my research in this room...

After many interviews, surveys and water testing-my data collection is done-and today I met with my great professors to establish a "THID" Thesis hand in date...the end is in sight! My goal is by the end of this year to defend and be done...

Much like the marathon-my PhD is not about me.  I am not doing this just to be called Dr. Bev-please don't call me that!  It is about my work-the people of Liberia-and hopefully my work will help other organizations working in post-war countries with their project implementation. But if it doesn't, I know that many of the things I have learnt are being done in our projects.  It is more than just about clean water-it is about meeting people where they are- after living through a war that torn them apart.  Instead of coming in and telling them what they need, ask about them-their lives before the war, what they lost and learn to listen before doing...My research led me to some amazing people and because of their answers I believe our WASH projects are better.

Running has helped me in this academic marathon-clearing my mind and helping my thoughts come together.  I went for a run today and the crisp air was nice-my legs felt light, but my chest felt a little sore from all my coughing! 

So that's why I am here at Cranfield-(which is just north of London near Bedford) to meet with my professors and set the stage for my final year as a student!  Tomorrow I head back down to London to meet with our SPUK office staff.  I look forward to seeing them and getting focused for the run this weekend!!!  Wow-it's getting closer...

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/spuk
 

No comments:

Post a Comment