Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Triumph over adversity...

There are moments in our lives that we can look back and say "I triumphed over adversity" -all of us, no matter how little or big the adversity was-overcame it and triumphed! Here is a little story about triumphing over adversity from one of our CLP communities. 

Little Augustine is 9 months old-and he has,without him really even knowing it, triumphed over great adversity.  Augustine is from Sorlumba and his mom was a member of the SP CLP (Literacy and Livelihood program).    She was not a participant for very long, as giving birth to little Augustine she passed away.  Augstine's first taste of adversity-he has no mother.  Not only did he not have a mother, but his second taste of adversity- he has TB. 

Joni with little 9month old Augstine...

Augustine was not only sick with TB but was also not getting the nourishment he needed to grow.  Joni (CLP manager) was able to get some protein powder to help him out-at 6 months he could not sit up-after the protein mixture for a couple of months he can sit up and is trying hard to stand up and lean on things.  Adversity-Augstine is going to overcome it and we pray that he will triumph into the little boy his mom wanted him to be and who God wants him to be.  I really hope that the family that cares for Augustine will tell him about his mom-and how she was triumphing over adversity by being part of the CLP program-learning to read, do math and learn business skills to help her family.

A recently heard a quote-by Katherine Switzer, the first woman to enter and finish the Boston Marathon. 

"The triumph over the adversity, that's what the marathon is all about; and therefore, you know that there isn't anything in life that you can't triumph over after that."

During training this past weekend I thought a lot about these words. I agree with Katherine Switzer, because I have run and trianed for a marathon- I can say that there are not a lot of things I feel like I can't triumph over. But, I thought about this little boy, Augustine, and all the Liberians who are part of our programs-and the adversity they have overcome.  They have no idea what a marathon even is-but they have more strength and will-than I, this marathon runner, need to finish that grueling 26 miles and 385 yards. They are stronger.  They have a stronger will to persevere through adversity. I ran 8 miles on Saturday and 13 on Sunday-it was hot, muggy (38C/100F 85% humidity) and I was tired.  But my struggle to run is nowhere near Augustine's or what his mom went through-it is nowhere near the tragedy, adversity and suffering we see everyday.  That is what pushed me through every mile-that is what will continue to push me through every training mile and every mile on April 17th. This is why I run.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/spuk

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Bev. I could say this about pretty much all your posts, but this one made me want to be back in Liberia!

    ReplyDelete