Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Trials and Endurance...

Training for a marathon is filled with many small trials and victories.  Injuries and fatigue can be trials- a great time for a training run can be a victory. Life is the same way-everyday is filled with micro-trials and victories-and at the end of the day we take stock of them and decide whether it was a good day (more victories) or a day we would like to forget (way to many trials!).  Yesterday, (of course a Monday) was like that for me, we have had electrical issues at our house since we have arrived-my fridge hasn't worked since Sat., I can't use my drier without the lights dimming to mood lighting, no hot water, I was in a 3 hour meeting that was very unexpected...I know it sounds like I am complaining-but it was just one of those days where the score was TRIALS -134 VICTORIES-3...(1- time with my boys, 2-a great dinner, and 3-the TV works!)

However, throughout the day yesterday I was reminded of a couple of things.  The first being a verse I found in Romans:

" We can rejoice too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know they helps us develop endurance" 5:3 NLT

Trials produce endurance and as a runner that is good news!  I figured yesterday I added a lot of endurance to my life and secretly am hoping it will come out in my running ;) In reality, I know that trials help us deal with life.  They give us the strength to move forward and keep enduring what life throws at us.

This leads me to the second reminder that scrolled through my brain yesterday...her name is Eveleen.  She is two months old.  Last week when I was in Karpi village with a team from Salmon Arm, we stopped at to say hi to our friends there.  A little girl no more than 9 come rushing forward holding a little bundle in her arms, her little sister Eveleen.  She was soooo small (she is 2 months but looks to be 2weeks!)-when I held her it was like holding my cell phone!  I asked one of our staff members whose child it was and the story behind this cute little bundle...this little victory.  This is the story of Eveleen...

Alisa, one of our fabulous staff members, was in Karpi last December when a young woman went into labour-Alisa was able to get one of our SP trucks to pick her up (community members were carrying her in a hammock) and take her to the Foya hospital where she gave birth to Eveleen.  But there were complications, the mother was anemic, she needed blood, the hospital didn't have the right equipment to test a donor-so they had to send Eveleen's father to another town, Kolahun, (30min away) to find a testing kit that could test for hepatitis.  On the way back the father was notified that his wife had died-but little Eveleen was ok.  Alisa helped the family with funeral arrangements and making sure that the family had the right formula for little Eveleen.  Trials...

Last week Alisa and I visited Eveleen again.  Alisa's mom had given Alisa some baby clothes that she brought back from Canada for little Eveleen.  So, armed with baby clothes and more formula we hopped on the ever steady AG100 motorbike and headed for Karpi.  I dropped off Alisa and carried on to see the how the team was doing in the next village where they are building a school for Karpi and the neighbouring village of Kimbolou.  On our way back we stopped at Eveleen's home.  Her grandfather is the chief-a good friend of ours-Alisa was holding her and couldn't believe how big she was getting.  Victory...

Alisa and I with Eveleen

It was time for her bottle so Alisa handed her to me and my clumsy self attempted to feed this little one.  She clamped on and sucked away-her eyes getting sleepy -it was time to put her in her little crib and let her eat until she fell asleep...Endurance...

So how do I do this again?

Great Success!

Tired and hungry...like many of us after a trials!

I don't tell you this story to make you feel guilty or anything like that-this is the reality of a post-war country.  These are some of the many trials that people face everyday.  I tell you so that we can rejoice that little Eveleen has endured and that her future is full of hope, rejoice that thanks to our amazing staff and the team she will have a school to go to and learn, rejoice that her grandfather and father love her and will care for her, rejoice that Alisa was at the right place at the right time to be the "Good Samaritan"  and help this family through their greatest trial. 

A little victory high five...

Trials and victories are part of life.  They are a part of running.  Training has not been easy for me-as I embark on another marathon.  Running, my body feels sluggish and heavy.  I have to stop and walk on my longer runs.  But I know that these little trials are producing endurance-and it is endurance that will get me through the race. Just like Eveleen.




No comments:

Post a Comment